A plan of action for the self-treatment
of anxiety and mild depression should include the following measures.
- Learn a relaxation and mediation method including visualization.
- However reluctantly, some form of active exercise must be performed
each day. This can be brisk walking, skipping, swimming, cycling, etc.
15 to 30 minutes of any of this activity is sufficient.
- Exclude completely from the diet the following: tea, coffee,
alcohol, chocolate and cola; all white flour products; sugar of all
colors and honey; all foods containing coloring, flavoring or other
chemical additives; white rice and strong condiments such as curry and
salt. Avoid smoking.
- Have three meals daily (unless hypoglycaemia is established, in
which case take more frequent, smaller meals). One of these meals
should always be mainly salad, to which add seeds (sunflower, pumpkin,
etc.) nuts and either whole meal bread or a jacket potato. The other
main meal should be a protein meal (egg, cheese, fish, poultry, lean meat,
vegetarian savory, etc.) and a variety of cooked (lightly steamed)
vegetables. The morning meal should be built around fruits, seeds,
nuts, wholegrain, etc. with natural yoghurt or Soya milk. Drinks
should be non-stimulating such as herb tea, yeast extracts, coffee
substitutes and mineral water or fruits and vegetable juices.
- Obviously if these simple measures, together with some suggested
supplements, do not rapidly (two to three weeks) effect a marked
improvement, you may well require more individual advice, and you
should consult a naturopath or a doctor using orthomolecular methods,
or a clinical ecologist. If you are on medication, take advice from
your qualified physician or medical practitioner before using
supplements at the same time and do not stop medication suddenly.
- Deal comprehensively with stress, if necessary seek professional